Sunday, April 3, 2011

Staying positive!


I know that there are a lot of people who go through much tougher trials than I do, but this past week has been a struggle for me. I know how easy it is to just give up and stop moving forward, but I think that the best thing to do is think of all the blessings in your life. I was struggling with studying for a test, getting a speech ready and perfect, and frustrations that come along with college and roommates. I felt so alone as all the frustrations were building in me, which I didn't know how to handle. I turned to the scriptures and read a passage that reminded me to stay happy and remember that I am not alone.

"Wherefore, lift up your hearts and rejoice, and gird up your loins, and  take upon you my whole armor, that ye may be able to withstand the evil day, having done all, that ye may be able to stand." D&C 27:15
Also...
"Lift up your hearts and rejoice..." D&C 42:69

I love these scriptures and felt so much comfort from them. I know that I need to be grateful for everything I have and I realized about what I am grateful for. I need to stay positive and not get down on myself because I really have everything I need. I have an amazing family of whom I love, and who has been there for me through thick and thin and the best friends back home who have gotten me through a lot. I need to look at all the positive things I had the opportunity to do. I got to go to the gym this week, I went to dinner with Madi Bringhurst, I got to talk to my friend who I hadn't talked to in a while, I got a cute call from my mom, I got to spend some quality time with my roommates in Vegas this weekend, and I got all of my homework done that I need to do. I was also so grateful that it was conference weekend, because I felt like I needed everything every speaker had to say. The words from every speaker especially the prophet is just so comforting and really reassured me that I am not alone, and I need to turn to the Lord and the people I love the most when I am having challenging times. I realize now that if I keep staying positive and think of all my blessings I can get through anything!

As I watched General Conference, this is the passage that really stuck in the back of my mind...

"Never give up on anyone, and that includes never giving up on yourself." -- Dieter F. Uchtdorf

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post from a wonderful daughter. You amaze me Holly. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww holl! I'm so glad we got to go to dinner together! I was going through a tough time too --you don't know how much that dinner meant to me! You are the best friend I have down here! I hope you know that you can ALWAYS come to me if you ever need an escape or someone to talk to. I don't know how many times I have to say it before you believe me -- you could never be bothering me! I love you Holly, and consider you one of my best friends! You really were my little angel down here! Lets see each other more from here on out okay!? xoxo

    ReplyDelete